Sunday, January 3, 2010

Mount Scenery - Saba Island








Climbing 2,828 feet does not sound too tough. The ascending stairs are uneven and no rhythm could be set. It was walk, walk, step, step, walk, step, walk, walk, walk, walk, step --- I like rhythm and it unsettled me to climb these crazy steps. Oh, did I mention the foggy drizzle added to the challenge? But I was determined to see the Caribbean from Mount Scenery.

Typically it takes people about 2 hours to climb to the top, but it took us 3.5 hours because I am also wee bit chubby. I did not care. I made it. And the trip was worth it. The top view (top photo) is the reward of our efforts.

Returning to St. Maarten via the Saba Airport was equally thrilling (that short air strip) - albeit with a 4 hour delay. Next time we will stay on Saba and skip St. Maarten all together. St. Maarten is too commercial and crowded for our taste.




No comments:

Post a Comment